notices news
employment Lab library merchandise contact
"Working Together Today For a Cleaner Tomorrow"
  Posted: 09/17/2014


Public Works Department/
Green Lake Sanitary Sewer and Water District (GLSSWD)

The GLSSWD Superintendent is responsible for managing the daily operation and maintenance (O&M) of GLSSWD facilities under direction of the Public Works Director. These facilities include water treatment, storage & distribution, wastewater collection and treatment. This position involves supervising all the daily activities associated with GLSSWD O&M.

Bachelor’s Degree in biology or chemistry or college technical training in the water/wastewater field or other equivalent experience is required, plus eight years operational experience or four years’ experience in a supervisory role, operating, maintaining and repairing water and wastewater treatment facilities. This position also requires a MDH Class “C” Water Operator Certificate and MPCA Class “A” Wastewater Operator Certificate and MPCA Type 4 Waste Disposal Certificate. Must continue training to advance knowledge and acquire required continuing education credits.

A demonstrated ability to communicate effectively is crucial, as the incumbent must represent and serve as spokesperson of the GLSSWD to customers and served cities, lakes and other entities.

Applicants must submit a County application (resumes accepted only with application). Application forms may be picked up and submitted through

Kandiyohi County Human Resources office
2200 23rd ST NW, Suite 2020
Willmar, MN 56201

or are available online at

Applicant deadline is October 3, 2014, at 4:30 p.m., or until position has been filled.

Kandiyohi County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

  Posted: 09/17/2014

Class C and Class D Water/Wastewater Operators

The City of Buffalo (15,800 population) is seeking applicants for the positions of full-time Class C and Class D Water & Wastewater Operators.

The duties include performing the day to day operations of water pumping, treatment and distribution facilities. Must hold high school diploma or GED, Class "C" or Class “D” Wastewater Operators License and Type IV Waste Disposal Certificate. Must have or be capable of obtaining a Minnesota Commercial driver's license with tanker and air breaks endorsement.

Wage range Class C $18.78 - $24.71/hr, Class D $18.09 - $23.80/hr plus, benefits.

Applications/resumes due are by October 10 at
City Center
212 Central Avenue
Buffalo MN 55313

and can be found at
and sent to

The City of Buffalo is an EOE. No calls please.

  Posted: 08/07/2014

Lead Operator

Immediate opening for a Lead Operator to serve as team leader in the day-to-day activities at the Barnesville, MN Class C water/D wastewater treatment facilities, including collection & distribution.

To learn more about the position and apply, go to
or call HR toll-free 1-877-774-4311 Ext. 17.

  Posted: 08/05/2014

Field Manager

Tri County/Mni Waste' Water is accepting applications to fill the position of Field Manager.

Applicants must possess a current South Dakota Class II Treatment and Distribution Certification, as well as a Waste Water Certification; an educational level equivalent to high school graduation; work experience with backhoes, track hoes, and other pipeline equipment, computer knowledge, electrical and mechanical skills is a plus; knowledge of the functions of pumps and electric motors; be able to keep records and perform mathematical computations; must have a CDL; also have reliable transportation. Carry an acceptable driving record and be able to pass pre-employment drug test with random drug testing throughout the year.

For more information please call (605) 964-7766.


Wastewater Plant Manager

The City of Mobridge is seeking qualified applicants for Wastewater Plant Manager.

An employee in this position assigns, prioritizes and reviews work daily; oversees plant operations and performance, performs wastewater testing and quality control checks; reviews EPA documents to ensure future compliance with wastewater regulations and standards; handles public relations issues relevant to wastewater plant operations; ensures plant is in full compliance with state and federal regulations. All candidates for this position must have a Class III Wastewater Treatment Certification.

This is a regular full-time position.

Applications may be requested from the Finance Officer at 114 1st Ave East, Mobridge, SD 57601, by phone at 605/845-3309, or on the city website Deadline for application filed.

The City of Mobridge is an Equal Opportunity Employer

Technical Assistance Providers for South and North Dakota

Midwest Assistance Program is recruiting for Technical Assistance Providers to provide assistance to rural communities on infrastructure issues. Water and wastewater experience is beneficial. Community development and financial skills are an asset. A bachelor's degree is desirable, but not required. Communication, facilitation and time-management skills are essential. Location is negotiable within the states to be served. Applicants must be able to work independently and travel often. MAP provides competitive salaries and excellent benefits. Click here for a complete job description.

Submission: E-mail Resume to or send via US Mail to: Midwest Assistance Program, Attn: Human Resources, 303 N. Market St ., Suite 2, Maryville, MO 64468

Deadline: Open until filled.


Technical Assistance Provider

Program Description:  The program mission is to assist rural communities to improve their environment, quality of life and be self-sustaining by providing technical assistance and training relating to water, wastewater, solid waste and community development.  The Midwest Assistance Program, Inc. (MAP) is a non-profit organization serving the nine Midwestern states of Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wyoming.  MAP is a partner of the Rural Community Assistance Partnership, Inc. (RCAP).

Supervised by:    Field Manager

Classification:    III (Exempt)

Position Salary Range:    $40,000 - $64,043

Entry Salary Range:    $40,000 - $48,820

Position Summary:  The Technical Assistance Provider will provide training and technical assistance to nonprofit and local, tribal, state and federal government agencies to improve or develop water, wastewater, solid waste systems and other related programs or services in rural communities.  Major responsibilities include: provide technical assistance; plan and/or deliver training; perform outreach and networking; program development; perform research and analysis and publish results; administrative duties; contract management/mediation; assist with codes/ordinances/grants and grants management; promote system operational standards to meet regulatory compliance, cost savings and promote system longevity; draft by-laws, policies, procedures, rate setting and board training.  Work performed may be in the technical areas of: water, wastewater and solid waste operations, management and financing, community development and organization.

Principal Accountabilities:  Specific job goals, objectives and tasks are established for each employee as part of the annual evaluation and work plan process.  Examples of responsibilities and duties include but are not limited to the following:

  • Conduct assessments - work with clients to develop scope of work including task, time and resources; determine skill level needed by the client and perform needs assessment -- determine client eligibility for services; coordinate with other MAP staff working in the project area and other technical assistance providers to perform work; follow-up to ensure scope of work is completed.

  • Provide technical assistance - deliver direct technical assistance and service to clients to include project planning and management.

  • Training - plan, prepare and deliver technical training at various conferences institutes, workshops, clinics or client agencies.

  • Outreach and networks - form, coordinate and participate in rural development networks and associations; form and maintain links between agencies and/or other networks; perform facilitation and mediation for clients and funders; maintain current information on environmental programs; policies and regulations; market division and MAP programs to clients, prospective funders and potential partners.

  • Program development - participate in development of funding strategies, initiate contacts and identify opportunities; determine scope of work with funders; coordinate, write, develop and submit small proposals; work as a team member on large proposals.

  • Research, analysis and publications - remain current on applicable government regulations and policies; comment on the impact of proposed regulations and policies; analyze rural development issues and needs; develop policy and technical papers, articles and manuals for MAP and other publications.

  • Administrative - assemble and lead MAP/RCAP project teams; prepare written reports and documentation of activities; maintain contact with funders; respond to inquiries as needed.

  • Contract management - develop and maintain project work plans; develop and monitor sub-agreements; maintain accurate records of progress; monitor implementation and compliance.

  • Other activities as assigned.

Job Qualifications:

  • Bachelors Degree (additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis).
  • Five years of any combination of applicable experience in environmental policy management, water, wastewater or solid waste facilities development or planning
    (If a higher level of related education is possessed than is required, this education
    may be substituted for the experience requirement up to a maximum of two years.)  (One year of experience with MAP in another position may qualify as two years of experience.)
  • Knowledge of personal computers including the Microsoft Office Suite or other business software.
  • Certain positions may require water or wastewater operator certification.

Job Specifications:

Knowledge of:
Federal, state, tribal and local government agencies, programs, issues and regulations related to rural water and wastewater systems and sold waste programs and facilities,
communication, facilitation, mediations and meeting management skills
Program development techniques
Project management
Nonprofit, tribal, and local agency and rural community dynamics
General record keeping practices
MAP organization and scope of MAP/RCAP program
Various types of clients within the MAP network

Ability to:
Listen and communicate orally effectively
Write and present materials
Perform research and analysis
Facilitate meetings
Develop and deliver training for adult learners
Organize and handle multiple priorities simultaneously
Travel an average of fifteen (15) days per month, including several overnight stays
Work independently
Respond to client needs in a variety of situations
Manage time effectively and efficiently
Be self-motivated
Network effectively
Operate a personal computer and the Microsoft Office Suite
Complete activity reporting requirements in a timely manner

Special Requirements:  Possession of a valid driver’s license and proof of required insurance.  Considerable travel required, some outdoor activity, and minimal lifting (files, office supplies, etc.).

Physical Requirements:

  1. A person in this position must be able to hear, see and speak English clearly.

  2. Must be able to travel by auto and air for various meetings.

  3. Out-of-office travel of several days per month may be necessary, including overnight travel.

  4. Minimal lifting (files, office supplies, etc. to a maximum of 55 pounds).

Other:  Fringe benefits include health, life, dental and disability, paid time off, federally recognized holidays and retirement program.  Travel and per diem are reimbursed at established agency rates.

Equal Employment Opportunity

For more information go to: Midwest Assistance Program 
Midwest Assistance Program is recruiting for Technical Assistance Providers to provide assistance to rural communities on infrastructure issues. Water and wastewater experience is beneficial. Community development and financial skills are an asset. A bachelor’s degree is desirable, but not required. Communication, facilitation and time-management skills are essential. Location is negotiable within the states to be served. Applicants must be able to work independently and travel often. MAP provides competitive salaries and excellent benefits. Click here for a complete job description.
Submission: E-mail Resume to or send via US Mail to: Midwest Assistance Program, Attn: Human Resources, 303 N. Market St., Suite 2, Maryville, MO  64468
Deadline: Open until filled.


Operator II – (Primary Wastewater w/ water)

Job Title:          Operator II – (Primary Wastewater w/ water)                        Job No:  36540
Location:         St. Michael, MN

Job Description

Operates and maintains water/wastewater treatment, processing, disposal and testing equipment in water/wastewater treatment facility to purify water to meet permit and operational requirements.


  • High School education or equivalent with the ability to read, write and comprehend English (operational, process, safety and quality instructions). Must have the ability to perform basic math equations.  Associate’s degree in a science or technical area strongly preferred.
  • Typically holds or is working toward an intermediate level water and/or wastewater treatment certificate. (Requires minimum water/wastewater license as required by regulatory agencies at the site).
  • Two to five years experience in a related position and environment with knowledge of the methods, techniques, and practices of water/wastewater treatment.
  • Must demonstrate proficiency in the care and use of all site specific, facility required PPE (Personal Protection Equipment), including respirators, gas detectors, confined space equipment, etc.)
  • Must consistently demonstrate the ability to operate assigned machines and equipment meeting or exceeding processing and quality targets under general supervision.
  • Must demonstrate ability to efficiently operate equipment such as pumps, engines, centrifuge, generators, valves, gates, mixers, conveyors, blowers, dryers, chemical feed, odor control, disinfection equipment, sludge processing filters, belt presses, and measuring/control devices, testing equipment and material handling equipment.
  • Must have the ability to diagnose process and mechanical problems in single or multiple unit processes, troubleshoot basic equipment and take corrective action within policy and procedure limitations.
  • Must demonstrate a working ability to use computer programs for process control.
  • Must demonstrate ability to work in a team environment and willingness to assume additional or new responsibilities readily.
  • Must be able to serve rotational 24 hour emergency on-call within 30 minutes if required by site.
  • Must possess a valid driver’s license and a safe driving record.

For immediate consideration, please apply at
Reference Job No:  36540

No phone calls will be accepted.


Wastewater Treatment Operator

Hourly $21.70 - $25.93

The Western Lake Superior Sanitary District, a national leader in environmental protection and pollution prevention, seeks a qualified full-time Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator.

The successful candidate must possess two years full-time equivalent work experience in a large wastewater treatment plant or a combination of relevant education and work experience which totals four years and possess at least a MPCA “D” Wastewater Operator Certificate.

WLSSD offers a competitive salary and benefit package. For more information and how to apply, please visit



WEB Water – Rural Water System Operator

WEB Water Development Association, Inc is a rural water provider serving 8,378 rural
hookups, 105 town/bulk users and five ethanol plants through 6,800 miles of pipe in Walworth, Edmunds, Brown, Day, Spink, Hand, Hyde, Campbell, Faulk, Potter, McPherson, Beadle, Clark and Marshall Counties in SD and Emmons, McIntosh and Dickey Counties in ND. WEB Water office is located in Aberdeen, SD.

Position Summary: The Rural Water System Operator position is a full-time position with full benefits and reports to the Operations Superintendent. The position is responsible for operation and maintenance of the WEB Water distribution system in the Day County service area. This position requires residency in the service area within three months of employment. The assigned service area is designated by the General Manager and Operations Superintendent.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities and Requirements:
· Performs daily operation and maintenance of pumps, valves, and reservoirs.
· Responds to customer service requests, emergency repairs, reads and repairs meters and pressure regulators.
· Previous water utility experience is a plus.
· Ability to obtain a Class II or higher Water Distribution Certificate.
· Must be able to lift at least 70 lbs.
· Must be able to work in trench type conditions.
· Ability to work effectively with the general public is essential.
· Requires residency within the service area within three months of employment.
· Normal working hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., with rotating on-call duty on weekends and evenings.
Competitive salary commensurate to experience.

Job Application and Job Description can be found under "Careers" at

Qualified applicants must submit a WEB Water employment application to be considered for this position which can be obtained at or by calling 605-229-4749 or 1-800-658-3957. You may submit your application by mail, email or fax.

WEB Water
PO Box 51
Aberdeen, SD 57402-0051

Phone: 605-229-4749 or 1-800-658-3957 Fax: 605-229-4492



Job Order ID:1592074

Status: Full Time
Hours per Week: 40
Experience Required: 12 months
Education Required Attained Certificate of Attendance/Completion
Minimum Age:
Drivers License Class:
Job Title: Wastewater Operator
Salary: Not Specified
Duration: Over 150 Days
Days: Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat
Shift: Day
Perform inspections of pumps, hydraulic machines, air compressors, hydraulic equipment to determine that all equipment is operating properly. Collects samples, test water and wastewater, investigates and communicates with supervisor.

Lifting Requirements: Medium to 50 Pounds
Desired Skills:

  • Maintain 100% compliance with regulatory discharge permit requirements and environmental
    policy issues and concerns.
  • Assist with day-to-day operations of the Wastewater Treatment Department.
  • Conduct environmental investigations, make recommendations and implement environmental regulatory compliance actions.
  • Monitor and investigate the environmental impact of various plant activities on the wastewater treatment plant.

Minimum Requirements:

  • High School Diploma or general education degree (GED) required. College graduate preferred.
  • 3+ years experience in wastewater treatment plant operations
  • Maintain at least a Class II Wastewater Operators license (South Dakota issued); preference will be given to candidates with a Class 3 or Class 4 license.
  • Knowledge of principles and practices of environmental science, engineering, and chemistry as related to environmental quality.
  • Knowledge of wastewater monitoring protocols, methods, and equipment.
  • Knowledge of technical programs, research, and trends in the practice of environmental investigations, control, and remediation.
  • Must possess predictive/preventive maintenance, mechanical and electrical systems knowledge.
  • Basic computer skills.
  • Must be able to read and write English.
  • Must be physically able to work in muddy and uneven surfaces while carrying equipment as required.

Worksite Address:
Aberdeen, SD 57401
Benefits Information:
401K, Health Insurance, Holidays, Sick Leave, UI Coverage, Vacation

Relocation assistance available.

Apply at the South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation

MWOA Copyright 2012 Become a member Bylaws